Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Gum Surgery...



disclosure: no gums where harmed in the making of this blog, and NO that is not my mouth!

Yes, you heard me right. At 9am MST I go in for gum surgery and grafting.

What's the problem you ask? My gums have receded all the way down to the root on all 4 bottom teeth. Quite painful really, and not much fun to eat/drink/swallow anything hot, cold, sweet or sour.

How do they fix it? Well, they cut a large piece off the roof of my mouth and then sew it onto my bottom teeth and whamo, new gums! Who knew?

How could this possibly happen? So, there are a few differnt causes but one that stuck out was eating or drinking acidic drinks (DIET COKE! SHAME ON YOU!)

I get to wear this nifty little mouth guard that covers the top of my mouth where the LARGE piece of cut-out gums used to be...I think of it like this. It's not like I'm losing the top of my mouth, it just wanted to move into a new neighborhood.

On the up side...liquid diet for 7 days. I hear it's awfully painful to get food stuck in that hole...so I should be at my goal weight by summer.

5 comments:

Peterson Clan said...

All I have to say is.....YOUCH!!!!! I'm sooo sorry you have to go thru that!! So am I still gonna hear the ice machine and Diet Coke fill up at Albertsons in the background everytime we talk on the phone?? haha Happy Recovery!! Take a pix of your mouth and the roof and send it to me when your done with your surgery!! I want to see what it looks like!! You know me...

Hillary said...

That sucks. You know how fun it isn't to burn the roof of your mouth on pizza...Just imagine 100 times worse. I was able to assist on a couple of those surgeries when I was a dental assistant. It isn't a fun recovery. With that being said, I wish You All The Best.

ShOrt StoRy said...

Dude...I was laughing when in light of everything you were excited about the liquid diet...that sounds like me....so funny!
I hope everything goes WELL and you lose a couple pounds..(even though you KNOW you don't need too) :)

Suzanne said...

Goal weight? You have a goal weight beyond where you are? You're a crazy woman, you skinny thing! And OUCH!!! This sounds painful. I wish you the best. Yikes!

Mandy said...

Hope you are feeling well and enjoying the liquid diet ;)