Sunday, March 2, 2008








This is a video about our daugther Kate. Kate Elizabeth was born on April 16, 2006, Easter morning. She was 36 weeks along and stillborn. It may be a hard thing for some to watch as you can vividly see the pain and anguish that our family went through that Easter morning. I was lucky to meet a nurse (Sharon VanCott) the night before I delivered who asked us if she could come back and take pictures for us. She wasn't even supposed to work that day, and it was Easter, but we said yes, and I'm so lucky that she did. It's all we will ever have of our little girl. We call her our angel on earth.
As sad as the first part is you will also get to see the amazing service that our close friends did for us. Todd Crump called the day after I got home from the hospital to ask if he could put in some cement while we went to Utah to bury Kate. I told him yes, and it turned into a large friend, ward and community project. (On the day I called the hospital,knowing something was wrong, we were in the middle of planning our very large and crazy backyard.) It was our version of extreme "backyard" makeover. Then to the end is when Nate's company, Callaway Golf, bought Ella a huge swingset and about 40 people showed up on a Saturday (108 degrees) and set up this playset for her. I don't know if anyone really understands how it made our sad home livable for us again. It's funny, I don't think we realized how we were loved....to come home after one of the saddest days and find this miracle. I don't think Nate and I will ever really know all the amazing things that people did for us, how much time was donated in the week we were gone, and all the hard work, but we will always be grateful.
After hearing about another little baby yesterday, I was surprised at how vivid and fast the sad memories came back. It's heartbreaking that there are so many of us that lose little babies.

My nurse Sharon also gave us two poems that we read at her graveside. It still enters my mind today, and maybe it will also bring someone else comfort.

"Don't think of her as gone away,
her journey's just begun,
life holds so many facets
this earth is only one.
Just think of her as resting
from the sorrows and the tears
in a place of warmth and comfort,
where there are no days and years,
Think how she must be wishing
that we could know today
how nothing but our saddness
can really pass away.
And think of her as living
in the hearts of those she touched,
for nothing loved is ever lost,
and she was loved so much!"

I love this second one.....

Daddy and Mommy

"Daddy please don't look so sad, Mommy please don't cry,
I'm with our Heavenly Father, and only he knows why.
Please, try not to question Him, don't think he is unkind.
Don't think He sent me to you, and then He changed His mind.
You see, I am a Special child, and I'm needed up above.
I'm a special gift He gave you, the product of your love.
I'll always be there with you, so watch the sky at night.
Find the brightest star that's gleaming,
that's my love shining bright.
You'll see me in the morning frost that mists your windowpane.
That's me, in the summer shower I'll be dancing in the rain.
When you feel a little breeze from a gentle wind that blows,
that's me, I'll be there planting a kiss upon your nose.
When you see a child playing, and your heart feels a tug,
that's me, I'll be there giving your heart a little hug.
So Daddy, please don't look so sad, and Mommy please don't cry.
I'm with our Heavenly Father, one day you will know why.



This year Kate would have turned two. We buy pink balloons so that Ella can let them go up to heaven to see her baby sister. This year will be no different.

Kate still enters my mind every single day. I wonder if anyone knows how much it changed me, and changed my family. I would give just about anything to hold her again. I feel lucky that at some point that day will come. I hope this video lets you appreciate your family a little more, especially those sweet children! And again, we have the greatest family and the greatest friends! Happy Easter Season!

4 comments:

My Dearest Rich said...

Thanks for the cry Ally! I too think of Kate every Easter Season. That sweet little baby girl changed the meaning of the Easter Season for me, forever. What a sweet little video. Its hard to think Ella was so little then! I can hardly remember. But I remember the day, so vividly. How precious life is. Thanks for publicly sharing! xoxo

Krissy Lowe said...

Ally, what can I even say? I am writing this through my tears. Thank you so much for sharing. What an absolute treasure that video is. I marvel at your strength. I can't believe that it will be 2 years this Easter. We have another friend up here who just gave birth to a still born baby. Witnessing their pain brought back your experience. Your family will always be in our thoughts and prayers every Easter.

Brady and Kariann said...

Ally, thanks so much for sharing that sweet video. I had no idea you had that happen. I cried watching it and just thought about how strong you are and how hard that must have been for you guys. Life is so precious and it's comforting to know that "families can be together forever!"

Bridget said...

Ally,

What a beautiful tribute.

I am imagining myself in your shoes that Easter morning. The logistics are terrible. I'm imagining the phone call that said you wouldn't be able to teach the lesson...and that you were facing the trial of your life. I imagine your friends wanting to do something but not knowing what exactly to do. Rallying them together in your absence probably wasn't too difficult. They love you so much.

I am so happy you felt loved through your trials. I know it still continues for you and knowing we aren't alone in our suffering seems to help.

Much love,
Bridget