Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ella had eye surgery!

Today Ella had eye surgery to correct her left eye that fades out. It was very hard for me to watch her try to be brave, and then be put to sleep at the surgery center. She did a great job, (she had to have it done on both eyes so that everything stays symetrical) but her eyes are pretty messed up and bloody right now. When she came out of the drug induced haze, she just smiled at everyone. She is such a great, great, child. The nurses said that most kids scream and cry at the I.V. but she just hugged her Nora and smiled at everyone.
Man, it's hard to let your kids be brave and have to do things without you. The sad thing is, I haven't even gone through the first day of kindergarten...but I'll wear dark glasses to hide my tears!
When we first got there she asked why she had to take off her clothes and put the gown, hat, and slippers on. She said she wasn't going out there in that "freaky" outfit. She is hanging around my fashion friends too much! :) But then I had to put one one too so I know how she felt!
Obviously, my life will be spent paying up at the Disney store. In fact that's where I am heading right now to start the payout.
She will have to have antibiotic drops 4 times a day, in both eyes, and I have to put a thick lotion in as well, 5 times a day...it will cause blurry vision for up to one hour. Let me tell you how fun it is to have a five year old who can't see...there is quite a bit of panic there, and she can't watch movies!
I shall get us all through this somehow...lots of diet coke and prayer. (Can I use those words in the same sentence?) Wish us luck the next two weeks...Ella can't be anywhere dirty so her eye doesn't get infected. Good thing I clean eight times a day! :)

3 comments:

Peterson Clan said...

My Poor Sweet Litle Ella...I'm sory that she had to go through that, but it sounds like everything turned out ok! Except for now that fun begins with those eye drops!! Good Times!! Love you Ella!! So proud of you ally that you are finally putting stuff up on your blog!! Yeah..Love ya-Jenn

My Dearest Rich said...

LMAO!!! (in case you aren't familiar with the "abbreviation world", that would stand for Laughing my a@# off!) Not laughing at the surgery by any means, SO laughing at the cleaning comment!!! What would the world do without your obsession to clean...day in and day out! It's a good thing your house IS so clean, and that you ARE such a freak about germs! I am REALLY feeling the pity about the entertainment factor, but what a big girl to go through all that. I was SO nervous when Luke had tubes put in and I had to take him to that surgery center, and they hauled him away. How will I deal with the upcoming Tonsilectomy and Adnoidectomy for little Livi? Mom's are so brave. Somehow we get through it. Keep the posts coming. Can't wait to hear all about the "recovery". xoxo...oh wait, you aren't a hugger...so then just sending nice germ infested sloppy kisses! ha ha ha

Krissy Lowe said...

i am so glad that Ella is going to be ok. Ethan has pink eye right now, and I hope that the Ella handles the drops and ointment better than Ethan has been. It is major drama 3 times a day.